sheltons

sheltons
-four boys-

word reign

welcome to my blog..... it means nothing and is nothing... it is what it is..... hope everyone enjoys these late nite musing and ravings. Word Reign (Rain) let the words just fall down like rain. some sort of paradox i think... at least that's what i was going for. welcome to my world. it is what it is

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day Four-Why I Have An English Degree

...and no, it's not because I wanted to teach. See, there are a few things each person is gifted at in his or her lifetime. A person can be good at politics; he or she may be able to tell you all you need to know about Hillary's political platform or why Ron Paul should be elected president (he's against the war on drugs, yay!). They may be able to sing extremely well or list all the states in ABC order. There's something out there for all of us. Me? I was good at one thing growing up and I came to learn I was good at a second somewhere along the way.

I like to read. That's the grand finale people. I like to read and I came to find out that I was fairly talented at writing.

And because of Holly Becht. Yes, you Holly. As I mentioned before I liked to read which led to discussing my mediocre mandatory English classes with a junior English major, Holly. She brainwashed me into taking an advanced English class (I got a B, woohoo!) and the rest is pretty much history.

I came to realize that it was probably the best and worst decision I've ever made. I love being able to read and comprehend, dig deep and pull out concepts, analyze and theorize the text and apply it to a real world situation. I hate not knowing what to do with this skill. People don't realize the talent and skill it takes in reading a text, realizing the underlying theories and nuances and finding the examples to support the argument. Wow, dont' think I've ever spelt it out like that before...

BA in English-pleasure and pain.

-it is what it is-

1 comment:

Megs said...

I am right there with you. I clearly remember the day that I sat in my apartment, trying to figure out what skills I might actually possess and what the fuck to do once I was out of college.

My answer: I read fast and I read well. I retain details with alarming accuracy. I love to read. I am a talented reader.

Job prospects for a good reader: 0.

So I thought, I'll go into editing. And I'll probably need another degree, so I'll do creative writing, because I'm good at that, so it'll be easy and fun.

Who knew I'd end up an elementary school teacher? Not I, says I.