sheltons

sheltons
-four boys-

word reign

welcome to my blog..... it means nothing and is nothing... it is what it is..... hope everyone enjoys these late nite musing and ravings. Word Reign (Rain) let the words just fall down like rain. some sort of paradox i think... at least that's what i was going for. welcome to my world. it is what it is

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

-something old-

Sometimes I think I was a better writer when I was in school (there's that damn phrase) than I am now. That usually happens when I find a brilliant piece of prose that I'm particularly proud of but presently forgot about it. (Is that sentence alliteration? alliterated? tongue twisted? Blah)

So. I'm sure you see where this is headed. Here's a piece I wrote for 'writing for mass media' class.

I’m standing in line at registration. Class schedule goes as follows. Spanish, Algebra, Western Civilizations, Biology, and General Psychology.
Wait. Is this mine?
I’m an English major.
There’s not a single class in here that is closely related to English.
Serious problem.
Hence begins my rant.
And this is just this semester’s course listing. This is not the first time I’ve taken class not related to my major. Nor will it be the last.
Seems to be that my time (and money) would be better-spent taking classes that are within my field of study. Not only would they be relevant to English, I’d enjoy them a lot more.
Obvious enough, right?
Wrong.
Campbell forces students to take classes that they hate, and the professors hate teaching, for the simple fact that no one wants to be there.
Honestly, what’s an English major doing in Algebra?
Madness.
Or a Physics major doing in American Literature?
Mayhem.
Why’s a business major taking Music Appreciation?
Chaos.
They say it’s to help give students a better foundation. Are they serious?
(Clever answer, but still lacking substance, sort of like the classes: catchy name, pointless class).
Students aren’t listening in these classes; they are killing time and wasting money. In general, they are being tortured.
These classes are generally used to sleep, doodle, draw, read magazines, do homework…anything but pay attention and actually learn something.
Let’s recap the situation.
Students and their major.
And.
Classes outside of their major.
Then.
Students taking these classes.
Does anyone truly expect the students to pay attention?
(Answer honestly; there are no wrong answers here).
Reasons for changing said practice are abundant. (Other than saving students from potential suicide due to boredom). To begin with: SPARE THE STUDENTS AND THE TEACHERS. The teachers don’t want to teach classes to students who are half awake and hating every moment they are in the classroom.
They want students who actually give a hoot. Students who are taking the class because it is part of their major and they could possibly be interested in what the teacher is talking about.
Imagine that. (Difficult I know).
Students might do more than sleep. They might even show up. In a perfect world, they’d bring the required book to class instead of the latest edition of Rolling Stone or Maxim. (Right now, students are sitting in class reading this article instead of paying attention to the teacher, but given the ability to take classes they cared about, one would think they would at least go to class).
So. Get rid of the ridiculous required classes that no one wants to take. Let students get down to brass tacks. Let the students take classes related to their major.
Better yet. Maybe my government major roommate can help me the difference between ignorance and innocence, reason versus passion, and what Milton was saying in Aeropagitica.
Honestly.
English majors diffusing quadratic equations?
I think not.

No comments: