sheltons

sheltons
-four boys-

word reign

welcome to my blog..... it means nothing and is nothing... it is what it is..... hope everyone enjoys these late nite musing and ravings. Word Reign (Rain) let the words just fall down like rain. some sort of paradox i think... at least that's what i was going for. welcome to my world. it is what it is

Sunday, February 10, 2008

One Point

One Point: The Largest Margin in the World

February 16, 2004


Campbell’s Mock Trial team, Team 452, fell one point short from advancing to the national tournament to be held in St. Petersburg, FL. The regional tournament, held at Furman University in Greenville, SC, hosted more than thirty teams from over twenty universities. With only nine spots open for advancement, competition remained heated. Every team hoped to earn one of the elusive seats in the national tournament.

Campbell’s mock trial team, made up of eight undergraduates, fought hard and argued intensely. Team Captain, Amy Conerly of Newton Grove said, “I’m disappointed that we didn’t make to nationals but I’m still very proud of the team. All of us have made some big improvements and really learned a lot over the year. If nothing else, I hope everyone on the team learned something this season that they can keep with them for the rest of their life”.

And proud she should be because Campbell went to court against arguably three of the best schools on the East coast, if not in the country. UNC-Chapel Hill, Furman University, and Duke met Campbell in the courtroom. Conerly said, “They were really tough competition. I’m not ashamed or embarrassed to have lost to any team we went up against. Our team did the best we could and the judges were very polite. Personally, I think the rounds could have gone either way and this year it went the other way. There was nothing more we could do”.

Co-Captain Charles Maynard of Dunn, NC echoed Conerly’s comments on the competition and Campbell’s team. “They were good and we were good. Some days you get a break and some days you don’t. This year it didn’t happen. I have total confidence that our team could have gone up against any team in the country and put up a solid argument without fear of embarrassment”. The team didn’t show any signs of extreme disappointment or anger at the missed chance at nationals. “I wish every team that got a bid to nationals the best of luck. They earned it, they deserve it” said Maynard.

If any signs of sadness were to be found it was in Catherine Cowling, the coach of Team 452. “This is more than just a team to me, we’re family. Everyone on this team is an amazing person and has contributed so much of his or her time to the team. Not only that, they have helped each other to grow and be so much more than they could have ever realized. I’m going to miss Mock trials until next August when it start all over again. While there will be another team, and another season, each team is different and unique and I’ll miss this one just as much as any”.

Senior Joshua Shelton didn’t have much to say that hadn’t been said already. He did insist on being quoted though. “While we didn’t make it to Nationals this year, and most of Campbell doesn’t even realize we exist, there is one fact that can not be denied. Team 452 will not be forgotten. Team 452 will live on”.


Found this while I was working on my thesis.

-it is what it is-

No comments: